Friday, July 3, 2009

Got My Timbos On...and I'm not being ironic

Are Timberlands "Back"?

Like it or not, but musicians and actors dictate the trends for the American public. Just the appearance of a certain brand at an award show, music video or a paparazzi shot can jump start a new fashion craze.

At this past weekend, Kanye West and Lil Wayne wore the 6 inch wheat Timberland boots. It is surprising to think that a man who has his own collection of shoes will wear the same shoes as construction workers. It is also a strange coincidence that two of today's most fashionable rappers would decide to wear the same shoes.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but product placement is very powerful.

via Dress Like Kanye West

Many fashion bloggers have claimed that Kanye West was one of the best dressed on the red carpet.
But why?

Is it because he took a risk and wore shoes that are unexpected of him?
It is because it was a hugely available shoe, which shows humbleness?
Do they know something about Timberland boots that I don't?
Is it just because it is Kanye and he is a fashion genius no matter what he wears?

Whether the choice to wear Timberland boots was done with or without the Timberland Company's consent doesn't matter, because either way the stock of the company soared on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. However, it is huge coincidence that the Timberland company happened to release a new biodegradable boot called Earthkeepers right before the Award show.

via Trendy Black Guy

Speaking personally, I never really knew of the existence or the popularity of Timberland boots until I entered into an environment that was different that I was used to. Instead of Uggs or Birkenstocks, I came across a group of girls who ALL owned bright Timberland boots. Thankfully, my parents listened to my pleas and bought me a pair of bright blue Timberland boots. As a pre-teen girl I was a victim of following a trend, just because I was told it was trend. Needless to say, the Timberland boots never became a staple in my wardrobe, but rather an unexpected blue accompaniment for matching purposes.

Are Timberland boots, the timeless hip-hop equivalent of Doc Martin boots?

Well all we can do is see how fashion unfolds and see if we will have
a "new" emerging trend on our hands that was already popular and faded in our lifetime.

2 comments:

  1. whoever runs this website, tries wayyyyy to hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your opinion, every response helps me. I'm just trying to post a simple blog about music, fashion, art and culture that is relevant to a community that cares more creativity than the mainstream nonsense. I'm am very passionate about these topics, so "trying too hard" is just doing research, giving opinions and being myself. lol

    ReplyDelete