Friday, March 13, 2009

I got my wee ninja hanging

It's Friday....
I finally decided to sit down and create the blog I've wanted to make for a while. I decided to call it 'What's Your Damage' after the phrase used in the 1989 movie Heathers. If you haven't seen the movie yet, definitely check it out, it's like a dark version of Mean Girls. Anyway less talk and more posting. This blog is dedicated to the best in music, fashion, art and the culture and news of my generation. Lastly I want to mention that the music in this blog will not be limited to hip-hop or rock, but everything I consider interesting and noteworthy.

Just a few hours ago I was at the Lupe Fiasco concert at Tulane University. It was amazing, and from the three times I have seen Lupe, this was clearly the best performance I have ever seen. Tulane's McAlister Auditorium was packed with young people from all over over the New Orleans area. There was no conforming in the room, I saw all types of people and I loved the diversity. As a resident of Chicago, I entered the auditorium wearing my Kanye West shirt from this summer's Glow In Dark Tour, which also featured Lupe Fiasco, and had a Wee Ninja hanging on my belt loop. From song lyrics to multiple pictures to interviews, Lupe has made it apparent that he is a fan of the small stuffed ninja fondly known as the Wee Ninja, so I decided to wear my very own in support. Tulane's own Soul Capital opened up the show, and it was followed by New Orleans' Dee-1 who has been known to perform at the popular Soundclash shows. Then the Knux came out and brought the crowd to a new level of hypeness, if that is even a word. I saw The Knux at The Cool Kids and Q-tip concert last year and I was amazed to see the increase in crowd participation in just a few months. When Lupe Fiasco came out it was apparent that most of the crowd owned all of his cds and possibly some of his mixtapes. Lupe never appeared to stay still and had hand motions that likened more to a magician than your average rapper. But then again, Lupe Fiasco is FAR from your average rapper. Most of the show, he was backed by a well trained drummer and performed each songs with the same ease as a freestyle. I think all of the singles from his cds were performed and he even performed some songs he was featured in. Lupe Fiasco gave a noteworthy performance that would have impress a hip-hop head and a person who has never heard one of his songs. I was highly impressed by his show and was excited when he leaked a little bit of an upcoming single.

Here a video I made of Lupe performing his verse of NERD's song 'Everyone Nose'


Picture of The Day:
Song of The Day:
Mikey Rocks-This Shit Is Easy ft. Hollywood Holt & Dude Royal (mp3)

Upcoming Shows:
(New Orleans shows)
Free Food Funk n Crunk Fatbeat Friday-Friday March 13 @ Handsome Willy's 5pm



Action Action Reaction- Friday March 13 @ One Eyed Jacks 11:55 pm

Soundclash- Saturday March 14 @ Blue Nile (Upstairs) 9pm


Alternative Media Expo 2009-Saturday March 21 @ Contemporary Arts Center $5 12-6pm

Ratatat--Thursday April 9 @ House of Blues New Orleans

Death Cab For Cutie--Saturday May 2 @ Contemporary Arts Center exactly $51.40

Coldplay-June 9th @ New Orleans Arena (Tickets on sale 3/21 at 10 am)

(Chicago shows)
Diplo-May 9 @ Smartbar

Kills, Horrors- May 9 @ Metro

No Doubt & Paramore- July 11 @ First Midwest Bank Amphitheater

Here is the defunct experimental group, Test Icicles' take on the Heather's line "What's Your Damage"

Melknee

No comments:

Post a Comment