Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I Wanna Be

http://www.whatsyoudamage.blogspot.com
http://www.whatsyoudamage.blogspot.com
http://www.whatsyoudamage.blogspot.com

Did you wear green yesterday or did you get pinches like a Boston crab.
Maybe I can have a photography career. I just found out that one of my pictures I took during my D.C. trip for Obama's Inauguration has been short-listed to be in Schmap Washington DC Guide for April 2009. I took it when I was visiting the Smithsonian's Natural Museum of African Art.

Behind every cool shirt there is a story and an talented artist who drew it. Recently the cool California brand, The Hundreds, started to tell the story behind their designs. I always wished 'The Hundreds' was a reference to Chicago's southside neighborhood, 'The Wild Hundreds', but something always reminds me that Chicago never had a big surf scene to inspire their clothing brand. Anyway, they created their “Monkeys” design obviously after See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil. However, they decided to make the monkeys represent bitter gossip, hate, and negativity. I think Kid Cudi should get a shirt.

The Hundreds shirt called "Salad Bowl" relates to the concept that American culture is like being in a salad bowl. What are you in this salad bowl of a life? A tomato? The lettuce? The mushrooms? Maybe the underrepresented carrots.
Steve Nazar, an artist known for his 1980s work with T&C Surf has designed the 'Welcome To The Jungle' shirt for The Hundreds. Steve created a set of characters that represents The Hundreds lifestyle. Meet Rhino Loco, Fatty the Bear, Captain Handsome, Way Jose, Skunk, and Riot the Hyena.
Here is some of Steve Nazar's oldschool surf drawings.
The guys at The Hundreds even wear tight pants. What's not to love about them.


I really want a cool track bike, but i probably won't get a fixie, because truthfully I'm lazy and I will get tired of doing the extra peddling. But most importantly I want a bike with a brightly colored frame, white or colored aerospokes and other fixins. Maybe I'll get an oldschool colored tuff wheel from Ebay. They're history is really interesting, when they started to lose business with BMX people they went into the wheelchair market. lol



or of course a moped would be nice too.



I think this random need for a fixie/moped/ect. is a Chicago thing.




Wow, I don't know if I'm maturing or if I actually found quality R&B. I'm known for my tastes in hip-hop and rock music, but I think I might turn into a R&B fan after listening to New Orleans' very own Yuri. Well maybe its because he's not really R&B. Perhaps he's actually soulful-alternative-acoustic-hiphop-neosoul-experimental, like John Legend meets a male santogold meets kenna meets a male lauryn hill with a little New Orleans flavor. Personally I don't care what label the music industry gives him, I just think everyone should check him out before he becomes a big star.

Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment