Wednesday, March 25, 2009

She Wants Everybody

Its officially midweek which means its acceptable to start thinking about weekend plans. Last week I went to my favorite Friday hangout, Throwback at The Republic. This night no one opened up, it was just 80s and 90s throwbacks. And when I say only, I mean ONLY. My friends requested songs from Rye Rye and The Black Kids and they were not played, but whats the point of complaining, it was THROWBACK. lol The Force Feed Radio duo and Dj Yancy battled it out with great hits that allowed no time for a breather. I noticed a smaller turnout than other weeks, which might have resulted from a pilgrimage to Austin for SXSW or other places for colleges' spring break. But despite the smaller turnout I still had fun. I met a cool guy named Craig who showed me that it's true, its better to be in VIP than the crowd. However nothing beats the stage. Like always me and my crew hit the stage and acted like we were in the SXSW or any other major music festival. I saw leader of the SIKKIS crew Mena and the owner of Traffic, New Orleans' premier streetfashion boutique posted on the stage as well.

Last week's Throwback was fun, but the upcoming week will be amazing. Throwback will have bookoo performers take the stage so look out for G-Eazy, Trombone Shorty, Greg Banks, PL of the Slap Doctorz, Blair Taylor, Erika Flowers and Riva. A song isn't a song without the featuring artists performing with the main artist. FYI urbandictionary taught me that New Orleans slang word, bookoo, comes from the French word beaucoup, which means a lot. French, New Orleans slang, typical. Anyway, everyone come out to Throwback this Friday because anyone who misses it will be greatly disappointed. Throwback is just like a moshpit, you can never have too many people there.

We are not the same, I am a.....ROBOT?
Check out Kanye West on the never cover of Complex. They call him the 'the most influential brand' in the universe. This reminds me of Hipster Runoff's deliciously overused term 'personal band'.
People accepted shutter shades, kanye glasses or whatever you call it so what do you think about these beauties. They're called Slanties. Each pair is made out of natural wood grain and has a layer of fiberglass. Choose from walnut, padauk, mahogany, and maple wood Slanties in three sizes at Slanties.com


Have you been keeping up with The Cool Kids. Chicago's hip-hop heroes have been staying active in the blog world with their pictures. So far this is the only group that I know of that posts a PICTURE OF THE DAY, hella cool. So if you've seen them, submit yours and you might be displayed on their blog. But I didn't need to submit a picture to be displayed on the blog. lol

Talk about cool kids...Children's clothing is mimicking adult clothing more and more, but when it looks like this, I have no complaints.
from The Cool Hunter


I don't know anything about kyte, but Rye Rye has a channel and she posted a video from SXSW.


The shows at SXSW are officially over, but the SXSW fun isn't over yet. Why you ask? Craigslist thank you very much. On Austin's missed connections, I found several interesting, hilarious, and heartbreaking. messages. Here are some of my favorites:
SXSW 2009 - m4w (ATX)

I know this is early but I want to get my MC in before the massive flood of them. I (probably) saw you somewhere on South Congress, you were (probably) from Boston, or maybe Pittsburgh, but not from anywhere in Florida that's for sure. You were wearing super skinny jeans or maybe one of those super-tight, super-short miniskirt things and a t.shirt for some band that nobody has heard of, that may not even exist. You had either Betty bangs or the 'elf'. You were on a bicycle made out of a combination of $400 titanium parts and an old frame you found in a shed, it was painted hot turquoise and magenta, and yellow, and a few parts were gold. And black. You were waiting on a free show and drinking an $8 coffee, the irony wasn't lost on me. We didn't actually speak, I don't think you even noticed me but my psychologist recommends I make new friends and although she is wrong about most things I have decided that I can afford to spend some of my time on someone other than myself and it is to be you. Did we have a moment?

brooklyn girl - m4w - 25 (sxsw east side)
we totally made out then you ignored me at the bridge show. what up with that?

Very important!! SXSW searching! - w4m (SXSW)
YOU! asymmetrical haircut, plaid shirt with pearl snaps, and cut-off jeans ME! black frame glasses, high-waisted skirt, and cowboy boots VERY IMPORTANT THAT I FIND YOU! I THINK WE MAY BE MEANT TO BE.

Red Bull Moon Tower Sunday morning - 24 (east ATX)
I know I'm likely never going to see you again, oh out-of-town band member, but I wanted to put this out there. It was about 4:30am. You and your band were piling into a ubiquitous white van, talking about going back to the hotel. I was walking by and got distracted by y'all, and you (the driver) gave this ineptly charming spiel about how you hadn't been kissed during sxsw. A strange combination of your bandmates egging us on with a well harmonized chorus of 'oooh's, the remnants of too many tequila shots in my system, and that strange hour of the morning led to you getting a sxsw kiss (um, or two). You were very sweet about it, and wow that was a great kiss. Just wanted to say thanks for ending my sxsw on a high note, and that I hope it did the same for you. And hey, if you're planning on coming back to town any time soon, maybe we can try for a repeat?

The Hold Steady - 27 (SXSW)
How is it possible that you played a gazillion shows this past week and I missed every one of them?

Saw you at SXSW - m4w - 30 (downtown)
You were walking by... in a sexy summer dress... I was ogling at you while eating a hot dog... I spilt chilli on my shirt. You laughed at me. I lost my temper and dumped my Extra Large Diet Dr. Pepper all over you... You were caught by surprise... Some ice cubes fell down your blouse... your nipples became erect. Realizing what I have done... I grabbed a handful of napkins and proceeded to try to pat down your breasts trying to you dry you off -- apologizing profusely. Caught by surprised you smacked me with your purse. Bunch of tampons fell out as a result. Without missing a beat -- I picked them up trying to protect your honor. You gave me a nasty look and started to walk off. I tried to apologize some more... but you kept walking. I grabbed your arm... You spun around and kicked me in the nuts... I dropped like a sack of potatoes. A crowd had formed by now... despite my aching nuts -- I popped a boner. Please tell me your single!! Write me back...!


Pharrell apparently is a big fan of McDonalds. Watch him dance and sing the menu at a McDonalds in a Paris airport. The dude is in his late thirties, but you would never know from his behavior.


This is Rob Roy he is a new face the rap world. He has a very unique sound that's a mix of Outkast, bmore club and The Lonely Island. Also check out his clothing game, the boy is Alife-ed out. This video reminds me of a sketch of a late night talk show that is backed by great music for bouncing and snapping.

Rob Roy "Fur In My Cap" Director: Ethan Lader from ethandirector on Vimeo.

Here is another video directed by Ethan Lader. Its called "Love Hangover" by Kidz In The Hall featuring Estelle.

Kidz In The Hall feat. Estelle "Love Hangover" Director: Ethan Lader from ethandirector on Vimeo.

After seeing these videos, I'm positive that Ethan Lader is my new favorite music video director, but no one can beat So Me, who directed Justice's 'D.A.N.C.E.', Kid Cudi's 'Day n Nite' and Kanye West's 'Good Life'. This video features North Hollywood's Laze & Royal. The video has bright colors, a nice lyrical flow and cute twins which makes for a nice bonus.

Laze & Royal "Like A Pistol" Director: Ethan Lader from ethandirector on Vimeo.


WHERE DO I WISH I WAS RIGHT NOW: MIAMI for CREME de la CREME on March 24th. This megashow will have all of my favorite local and national artists performing, including: Hollywood Holt, Diplo, Amanda Blank, Kid Sister, U-N-I, Million $ Mano, Chromeo, Hey Champ, Wale, Kidz In the Hall, Pac Div, Mickey Factz and more. Best of all its ALL AGES, which is really rare for a show like this.

Melknee

1 comment:

  1. no groupie love for pharelle
    .............i would be worried if i were him lmao
    all he got were side eyes

    -Boris

    ReplyDelete